Jaz Beach, close to the town of Budva on Montenegro’s Adriatic coast, came top of the Best in Europe 2015 beaches list, ahead of Peniche in Portugal and Rondinara in Corsica, at numbers two and three respectively.
Jaz is one of Montenegro’s longest beaches, with sands that stretch for more than a kilometre. And on 15-17 July it will play host to Sea Dance festival, whose lineup includes The Prodigy, Roisin Murphy and Rudimental.
Europe’s 10 Best Beaches, according to Lonely Planet:
1. Jaz Beach, Montenegro
2. Peniche, Portugal
3. Rondinara Beach, Corsica, France
4. Cale Goloritze, Sardinia, Italy
5. Vik Beach, Iceland
6. Bantham Beach, England, UK
7. Sandwood Bay, Scotland, UK
8. Cala Macarella, Menorca, Spain
9. Voutoumi, Antipaxi, Greece
10. Curonian Spit, Lithuania
Lonely Planet has also compiled lists of the best places in Europe, and the continent’s best family holiday destinations.